Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sex and the City

Yes, I contributed to the $55.7 million opening of Sex and the City this weekend. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. What's not to enjoy? 

I heard it didn't get great reviews in my hometown paper or in some of the New York papers, but those critics got it wrong. I understand the naysayers said it was pointless and plotless, but I beg to differ. If you were a fan of the show, I guarantee you will be a fan of the movie. 

I was listening to a radio show on Friday where men were calling in with excuses they were planning to use to get out of seeing the movie with their wives or girlfriends. Riddle me this: what woman would drag a man to see this movie? Despite what the critics might say, it's not about Manolo Blahniks or Jimmy Choos or designer dresses or sex, it's about girlfriends and the friendships they share. So it makes sense that this movie is best shared with a girlfriend, not a husband or boyfriend. Especially a husband or boyfriend who doesn't want to see the movie. So please, leave the unwilling man at home and free up the seat for an appreciative female viewer. 

No, it's not going to win any awards. And yes, it was predictable. And I'll give it to you that it painted an unreal, dreamlike picture of NYC. And, yes, of course, the product placement was almost comical. But I bought it all, hook, line and sinker. I'm sure some will say it seemed like a long drawn out episode of Sex and the City, but that's alright by me. When I watched the series on HBO, every episode left me wanting more. The movie had the same effect; I could have watched the girls for a few more hours and still not have grown weary.

I am tempted to comment on a few details and share some of my favorite lines from the movie, but I don't want to give anything away for those of you who didn't make it to the blockbuster grand opening weekend. But do yourselves a favor, ladies, call a girlfriend or two and go see the show. One of my girlfriends smuggled in a bottle of Proseco and some chocolate to add to our viewing pleasure. Plan on making a night of it and going out for a Cosmopolitan and some sushi afterwards. And remember, leave the whiney men at home, they are so not worthy. This movie is best shared with your BFF (I wonder if Gayle and Oprah have seen it yet?)

1 comment:

Guiding Light said...

I took my husband, who also happens to be my BFF and loved the series as much as I did. Funny funny review by Anthony Lane in The New Yorker this week. Loved the line that Miranda was not having enuf sex with her husband, maybe because he reminded her of Radar from MASH.