Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Be Careful of What You Wish For....

Be careful of what you wish for...

Just the other day I was thinking that I needed a new topic to blog about. Idol starts in 2 months and I need to warm up my blogging fingers. I was thinking that I needed something fresh, new and exciting to focus on before the Idols grace the big stage. And then yesterday my husband came home from work and informed me that it was his last day of work. And so the recession has become a depression around our house and like it or not...I have something new to blog about. 

Not sure I would necessarily put this in the "exciting" category, but it's certainly fresh and new, as in a fresh, new open wound. Ouch. We didn't see this one coming. And yes, to answer your question, I guess I may have been living in a bubble. I know these are hard times and I expected layoffs for my friends and neighbors who worked at Wachovia, but my husband didn't work at Wachovia and so I guess I felt we were safe. 

I'll be trite for a minute: yes, we have our health and we have savings and we have each other and a beautiful family and lots of great friends and for that we are most grateful. But it's never easy having the rug pulled out from underneath you, especially when the economy is going to hell in a hand-basket and Christmas is around the corner. But, I'm not sure there is ever really a good time to get slapped in the face; it always hurts. 

Hopefully it won't be all doom and gloom. While I have a tendency to see the glass half empty, my husband always sees it overflowing. While I'm the voice of doubt, he's the voice of reason. And while I am a bit of a killjoy at times (ok, that might be putting it mildly) I do have a pretty good sense of humor and, really, isn't laughter the best medicine?  

I list trophy wife as my current occupation; now more than ever I will have to step up to the plate and demonstrate to my husband that he has been awarded a prize. Hmm. That might be a bit of a stretch and a challenge. But I vow to be more supportive than ever. And I will try my very hardest to keep my sarcasm in check. And in the process, I'm sure I will have a lot of stories to share and blog about. It won't help pay the bills, but writing it down always seems to make me feel better. And really, folks, isn't it always about me?

It's 4 am and I am in front of my computer and I hear my husband's footsteps upstairs. Not sure what he's doing up there but I can't help but wonder...is this the new norm at our house? I don't think either of us slept a wink tonight, but at least we can both nap later today, right? See that? I'm already taking lemons and turning them into lemonade!

We'll be fine. We talked a little bit about it with the kids tonight and afterwards I asked my son if he was nervous. He looked at me, scrunched up his little face and said, "What is there to be nervous about?" Love that. He's like my very own Tiny Tim...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, the time stamp on your blog says it all. There will be sleepless nights ahead while you travel through the unknown and then you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I know when you get there, it will be fabulous. And along the way, you'll have lots of love and support from family and friends. And lots to blog about! Hang in there, Reids. We love you.