Thursday, November 20, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks

So my husband keeps telling me that I need to look at this layoff as an opportunity; a new lease on life. Not sure where he got his rose colored glasses, but I'm asking for a pair for Christmas. 

I'm trying. Really and truly, I am. I'm trying to see this not so much as an opportunity, because quite frankly, I liked the opportunity that came with him being employed. But I'm trying to see it more like a New Year's resolution or a lifestyle change. We're not down and out (yet) but I'm trying to change some habits while I'm still in the mood to count my blessings. We don't need to go out to see a movie; we have each other. We don't need to exchange Christmas gifts; we have our health. We don't need to eat out; we are happiest at home with our family.

I suppose the most popular resolutions are to lose weight, quit smoking, pay off debts, get a better job. And they all sound great, especially the last one, but I'm going to start small. My goal will be to use all the food in my freezer before putting another item in there. It will keep me focused and it will save us money. 

So while my husband works his butt off trying to find a job, I will challenge myself to come up with new and interesting ways to serve freezer burned chopped meat. Sounds fair, no? Ok, I'll throw in the pantry to even things up. On my honor, I will not buy another canned good at Harris Teeter until I have used up all the cans that currently occupy my cupboards. Now that is more than fair. In fact, it may be easier to find a job in this economy then it is to come up with a recipe that calls for canned pears, artichoke hearts and tomato paste. But I am up for the challenge. And do you know why? Because this is an opportunity and I'm all about an opportunity...

No comments: