Friday, December 12, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss


Apparently the recession is to blame for American Idol not giving back this season. 

Word on the street is that the show has decided to do away with its "Idol Gives Back" charity special. I suppose it seems like a rational response to the worst economic crisis that this country has experienced since the Great Depression. Frequent readers of this blog know that "Idol Gives Back" is my least favorite week of the Idol season (that's putting it mildly), so I'm somewhat relieved. But I can't help but think that there will be more people this year who need help than ever before. I could almost stomach the schmaltz and drama that comes with the absurd production that is Idol Gives Back. But apparently I won't be subjected this year. And it almost makes me sad. (almost.)

The economic news goes from bad to worse with each passing day. It's overwhelming and it seems as if there is nothing I can do about it. But maybe I can? I've decided that I'm going to put my head in the sand and leave it there throughout the holiday season. I'll take it back out on New Year's day. But between now and then I will remain blissfully unaware of what is happening in Detroit and on Wall Street and in uptown Charlotte. 

I saw a cartoon in the paper today that summed it up quite nicely for me...a man sitting on a couch reading a newspaper while his wife stands behind him yelling, "Who cares about Detroit cars, I want to hear 'bout Oprah's weight!" Me, too. Skip the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Nikay Index. I don't want to hear how much the stock market is down or even up in a given day. Spare me the unemployment figures and the housing starts, the only number I want reported is the one Oprah sees when she steps on a scale. And quite honestly, I don't care if it goes up or down. (but if I were a betting girl, I'd put my money on "up".)

Ignorance is bliss...and I plan on being blissful this holiday season. Won't you join me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The illustration is perfect. Love how you managed to work your old stand-by rants (Idol and Oprah) into your new topics (recession and holiday) in one little piece! Stay blissful. Why the hell not?