Back in October at a fundraiser in NYC, Barack Obama was quoted as saying, "The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." Yes, Mr. Springsteen was in attendance that night and went on to play "The Rising" at campaign events in several battleground states as well as Obama's inaugural concert. Bruuuuuce.
As I said in a previous post, I really don't care who wins the Super Bowl, because I'm rooting for the Boss. I must admit, the Jersey in me would have loved to have seen the Giants and Springsteen together in the same stadium. The very first time I saw Springsteen perform was at the Meadowlands in Jersey, home of the Giants. At least, that's what it was called back in the early '80s. I'm sure that some corporation is paying big bucks to have its name on the stadium, but it's lost on me as I am still referring to it as the Meadowlands. I saw Bruce Springsteen many times after that at the Meadowlands and in Charlotte...including the night of my 33rd birthday where I was sitting near the center of the first row. Swear. That man can rock a stadium and I am sure he will not disappoint tomorrow night in Tampa.
So while the Las Vegas odds makers are busy grading your favorite team's chances, I'm betting on what Bruce will play tomorrow evening in his 12 minute extravaganza. Rumor has it that he will play 3 songs, but mum's the word on what he and the E Street Band have in store for us. On the Today Show, Bob Costas suggested that the Boss will cause a riot if he doesn't play "Born to Run". I second that emotion. I'm not sure what he will play, but I'm pretty sure what he won't play: The Rising and Born in the USA.
So what should the Boss' play for his 12 minute concert? And why?
Here is my list:
- Born to Run: because it's New Jersey's state anthem and a crowd pleaser
- Badlands: because it always rocks the house
- No Surrender: because it's my kids favorite and I told them they could stay up to see the 1/2 time show
- Out in the Street: oh oh oh oh! Enough said.
- Promised Land: because I believe....
- Thunder Road: because it was pretty much required that every student in my high school know every word of this ballad. And while this Jersey Girl can barely remember her name, she can still sing every stinkin' word to Thunder Road. And I'd love to sing along tomorrow night...
What do you think? What would you like to hear?