Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lucky 13


Michael Jackson night...

Lil Rounds started us off with "The Way You Make Me Feel". I thought Lil looked like a clown. Paula complimented her outfit and make-up....probably because Paula looked like her twin. Lil will be back (hopefully with a new look).

So I guess Scott MacIntyre's brother is going to be the 14th Idol? I appreciate Kara trying to win Scott points by asking if he learned to play the song in a week...but it didn't work for me. I just don't think Scott is Idol material; the song was ridiculous. He needs to "Keep the Faith" elsewhere...preferably off the big stage.

I love Danny Gokey and I loved watching him sing "PYT". I thought his vocals were great and I loved his dance moves. And I love that his father made the family sing everything from their homework to their bedtime. Love.

Simon summed it up best when he was critiquing Michael Sarver, "I just wish we knew what you did for a living." Enough said. He'll be back, but he'll be back to the oil rigs before too long.

I can't decide if it's Jasmine's name or her look that reminds me of the princess from Aladdin. Can you see the resemblance? She'll probably get the teen vote tonight, but I think she'll be going home to her gorgeous sisters in the very near future.

Kris Allen is adorable. He and his wife Katy seem too good to be true. They've been married 5 months and he says that they've made a lot of sacrifices for Idol. Sacrifices? Something tells me that Kris wouldn't know a sacrifice if it bit him in his hot booty.

Allison Iraheta is this season's token rocker. And like the rockers before her, she's very good. But rockers don't make it on this show. That's not to say they don't go on to be successful (read: Chris Daughtry), but they don't take the title. Allison will be back, but she won't be this year's Idol. (though she does remind me of a young Kelly Clarkson...)

Anoop, Anoop, Anoop...what were you thinking? Bad, bad, bad song choice. You might be able to ride the coat tails of Slumdog Millionaire and get the nod to come back next week. If you do, you need to bring it, my friend.

Jorge is the clear loser of the evening. He sang, "Never Can Say Goodbye". Yes you can, Jorge. Say it: goodbye. I know there is a huge Latino audience out there, but I just don't think that Jorge is going to be our first ESL Idol. Not seeing it. At all.

You know what else I'm not seeing? Megan Joy. "Rockin' Robin"? Rrreally? It was a very silly performance. So not worthy of a vote. There's a reason she never sang a solo in the choir or never won a part in a high school musical.

I want Adam Lambert to be my favorite, but that spot is already filled by Danny Gokey. But Adam is a verrrry close second (even if he does remind me of Sharon Osbourne). He can sing, he can dance, he can perform, he has confidence and he is humble. I must admit, I did think his performance was a tad bit over the top, but then Paula declared her love for Adam and I realized that her performance was the one that was over the top; Adam's paled in comparison.

Matt the dueling piano player was great. So glad the judges gave him a 2nd chance. He is a cross between Matt Dillon and Justin Timberlake and I look forward to seeing the combo next week.

Lucky for Alexis Grace, Fox ran out of time and the judges weren't able to dissect her performance....because it wasn't very good. A few weeks ago the judges told her to dirty herself up a bit. She took it to heart and actually sang Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana". I thought it was very unoriginal. It's one thing to take the judges advice, it's another to become their puppet. She was probably good enough to come back, but she might want to rethink that dirty thing.

So who will join Jorge as the first Idols to leave? I hope it's Scott MacIntyre. But if she doesn't secure enough of the tween and teen votes, it could be Jasmine Murray. I think Anoop is too popular to go this week and he does hail from NC where we LOVE our Idols. I would not be upset to see Megan fly away home....

One thing is for sure, I'm tuning in tomorrow because Simon promises BIG changes. (I am not holding my breath...)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Anoop and Megan Corkscrew go home. I'm sorry but I just can't get on board the "Anoop train". I don't like him. He seems nice enough but he's all wrong. Go back to Chapel Hill and become "Dr. Anoop", Anoop. Megan really screwed herself with that idiotic song and performance. Ick. I think Jorge will stick around. I didn't like his song either but his vocals were so much better than Anoop. It would be great if Scott M goes home. I can see him doing a children's show.

Danny is growing on me. He's got talent. I still hate Adam's hair too much to like him. I'm loving Lil.

Anonymous said...

Wow. The ESL and Slumdog Millionare comments were really not cute at all...

Anonymous said...

Lighten up, those comments were hysterical. All meant in fun.

PalmettoGirl said...

C'mon Laurie -- The coverage of the contestants was hysterical and on the money (as always), but could share your thoughts about Paula's appearance? I know you've got something to say, and I can't wait to hear it! Throw us a bone!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Laurie's comments are hysterical and accurate. I'm still laughing about the bald Matt singing into his welder's mask.

To touch on Paula...I thought she looked especially pretty in her feathers and glitter. And when Simon forgot that it was his turn to make the first comment and forced Paula to do it, she rebounded OK. I like her more and more since Kara joined the panel.

PalmettoGirl said...

The results are in. Way to call it! (And what was Paula wearing tonight?)