Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Top 7: Music from the Movies


Ok, before we get started, seriously, what is up with Randy's sweaters? And beads? He is on my last nerve tonight. In fact, tonight he officially proves how completely useless he is; from the sweater, to the beads to the comments, he doesn't get anything right. So. Completely. Over. Randy.

Quentin Tarantino is here giving his two cents on songs from the movies. But it doesn't appear as if any of the contestants really take his advice. Hmm. He isn't the only celebrity in the house: also spotted are Little Stevie and Katie Couric (not together).

So Allison starts us off with "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and she sings it beautifully. Flawlessly, in fact. But apparently she opts to ignore Simon's feedback from last week heeding her to address her dress. He doesn't go there this week, so I will: the black smock looks like something you wear at the salon while getting your hair colored. Paula thinks Allison's got the same sauce as Adam: she's authentic. Simon also loves her performance. While complimenting Allison with, "You are the girls only hope left in this competition." he manages to throw Lil under the bus. Niiiice. Thankfully, we don't have to hear from Randy and Kara because of time constraints.

Anoop sings "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Quentin tells him to deliver it with a punch, but Anoop knows better (or at least he thinks he does) and leaves out the punch. Maybe that's why he's got the sweaty upper lip thing going on tonight? Perhaps he's doubting himself? But he shouldn't...it's a great performance. Amid Randy's dogs and dudes and mans, I think he likes it...but I could care less what he thinks. Kara thinks it's one of Anoop's best songs eva. And I just want to hear what Simon has to say....

Adam is up and he's singing "Born to be Wild". One of my biggest pet peeves on this show is when a contestant receives negative feedback from a judge and then counters with, "I had a lot of fun up there." If ever a contestant was having fun up there - it was Adam tonight. Paula loves him and gives only positive feedback. Simon thinks his vocals are incredible, but thinks it was a bit scary. Even after Simon's feedback, Adam doesn't feel the need to justify anything by saying "I had a lot of fun up there." He's above those shenanigans - he's professional and talented and oozes star quality. He's the real deal, for sure. Simon doesn't think this performance will be as popular as last week's; I beg to differ.

Bryan Adams gets some more air time this evening with Matt's rendition of "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman". I really love him. And I really loathe Randy and Kara. Matt is an awesome piano player and a great singer and every week Kara says the same thing: I'm not sure if Matt is a rock singer or a soul singer? She bores me and I cannot listen to another word. Randy starts his critique with, "The thing for me for you...." and proceeds to massacre the English language, dog. Neither of them give Matt a glowing review and I fear that may send him home. Unless, of course, the rest of America is as sick of them as I.

Danny is singing "Endless Love" and is clearly emotional and verklempt. Quenton encourages him to take the energy out of his hands and put it into his eyes. Danny's sans glasses this evening and so you can really see the tears well up in his eyes. But you can also see his hands waving in the air despite Quenton's advice. I think it's Danny's church background that causes his hands to go up in the air. And for the first time - ever - I believe Paula delivers her feedback more eloquently than Simon. She likes Danny's rendition. Simon, on the other hand, is disappointed with the harp and the fact that he sang Lionel Ritchie's rendition without much change. Simon thinks Danny needs to show a little more originality and spark...and I agree.

Kris and his krooked smile are simply adorable. Do you think his wife gets to have sleepovers at the mansion? Just wondering. Kris sings "Falling Slowly" and I love it. I think he sounds amazing. And then Randy chimes in with..."For me for you tonight....it was pitchy" What the? I think Randy might have a bead lodged in his ear. Kris sounds great. And Kara agrees with me.

Lil is doing Bette Midler's "The Rose" and I'm going to be honest with you, I can't get past her lips. I don't like this performance at all. She's got a great big voice, but I don't think there is anything original about Lil at all. Paula is incoherent at this point and quotes a line from the song about the road being too long and blah, blah, blah. I am looking at her like she has 6 heads when Simon chimes in with, "I have no idea what you are talking about." Thank you, Simon. He is soooo not all over Lil. He threw her under the bus while critiquing Allison, and opts to finish her off by saying she's too middle of the road.

And now I've completely lost interest in the show and I'm telling my kids to go get ready for bed and I'm putting the pillows back on the couch and folding the throws and in the background I hear Lil and Simon going at it and I see Lil's lips going up and down and I just want it to be over.

So, let's roll the recap and be done with this already:
1) Allison: She's even better the 2nd time around. She sounds amazing.
2) Anoop: So sick of that varsity wear of his. Maybe he and Allison can swap outfits.
3) Adam: I totally get Simon's Rocky Horror Picture Show reference and now "Let's Do the Time Warp Again" is going to be in my head for the rest of the night....dammit.
4) Matt: Love him. Hate Randy.
5) Danny: Hard to say bad things about a guy who is singing about his dead wife....
6) Kris: Randy doesn't know what he is talking about...it's a fantastic performance.
7) Lil: Sassy Mama

So who is in the bottom 3? Hmm. Lil, Matt and Anoop. And it better not be Matt that goes home or I'm going to hold Randy and his freakin' sweater responsible.

Poor Jennifer Hudson having to share the limelight with Miley Cyrus. Ugh....

No comments: