Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines...


I have been singing that song Fireflies all evening and when I finally sit down for a little Idol time, Lee Dewyze opens the show with...you guessed it...Fireflies! I love his rendition. In fact, I like it better than the original version (as does Kara). I like being on the same page as Lee, not so much with Kara.

Alex Lambert is up next singing Trouble. He has an awesome voice (wish I could say the same thing about his hairdo, sadly...I cannot.) He is so sweet and so innocent and so vulnerable and so scared-out-of-his-ever-loving-mind. Man, I wish he could take a deep breath and relax. I am nervous watching him and can barely take a deep breath myself. That's not a good thing when the audience can't breathe.

Is Tim Urban really going to sing Hallelujah? Yes, he really is despite the fact that many Idols before him have already been there, done that. My favorite rendition is the one that Justin Timberlake sang for the Hope for Haiti telethon, but I must admit....Tim's performance is pretty darn good. In fact, I think it's Tim's best performance to date. Ellen runs on stage to give him a hug, which I suppose is better than a standing ovation. The rest of the judges agree - Tim Urban secured himself a spot in the Top 12.

Andrew Garcia did not. He is singing Genie in a Bottle and could use three wishes right about now. The poor guy never should have sung that damn Paula song back in Hollywood week...it's gonna be the death of him. He is so history....

Next up...Casey James...hair pulled back, looking cool, sitting on stool, strumming his guitar (sung to the tune of Pants on the Ground). This guy has swagger and he can sing; a great combination. He chose You'll Think of Me and Kara admits she's back on the Casey train. He's not the greatest performer, but he's certainly not the worst.

So who will join Andrew Garcia in the bottom two?

I suppose it could be Aaron Kelly. He sings I'm Already There and I'm starting to do the head bobs. He actually has a good voice, but the song is boring and I'm just not all over the 16 year-old-yes-ma'am-goody-two-shoes image. I have no doubt that he is sincere and real, I am just not drawn to his version of squeaky clean. So, Kara starts on one of her tirades about how the song is not relevant because it is about a father talking to his son and Aaron has no business singing it and blah, blah, blah. But before I can get to my fast forward button, Simon jumps in and stops her dead in her tracks defending Aaron and admonishing the judges to stop confusing the contestants by telling them what they can and cannot sing.

Amen to that, my friend.

I know they like to say that it's all about song choice, but at the end of the day, the Season 9 winner is going to have a whole slew of handlers who will decide what he or she can and cannot sing. So why act like the song choice and album type is up to the artist? Wasn't that the problem that Kelly Clarkson ran into after her first album? She wanted to do it her way and the powers that be had something else in mind...and so they parted.

Still, I wouldn't be sad to see Aaron Kelly go home (and back to high school).

Todrick Hall is singing Somebody to Love. I'm waiting for him to bring it home, but he never really does. It's hard for me to say anything nice about this guy; I am just not a fan. But the judges think he is the bomb tonight. I strongly disagree. Simon says that it's good in parts, but that Todrick is a Broadway singer. I absolutely agree. He belongs on Broadway, not on American Idol.

But I like him more than I like Michael Lynche. I've never warmed up to Big Mike and this week is no different. He is beyond cocky and to steal a word from Simon, I find this performance indulgent. I cannot wait for it to be over. And when it is...the judges fall all over him with praise and adulation. Randy thinks it is dope. (Have I mentioned that I think Randy is a dope? Yes, I believe I have.) Ellen thinks it is beautiful. And...OMG...Kara is literally moved to tears. Can you say drama queen? She thinks the song is relevant because This Woman's Work describes what Mike and his wife "have been through." I'm sorry, am I missing something here? What have they been through? Mike and his wife had a baby. Woman have been giving birth for tens of thousands of years. We're not talking about the Duggar family with 19 kids and counting - we are talking about one kid. Big whoops.

And to add insult to injury, Simon says that Michael's performance is the best this season. Maybe I should rewind and take a second look, because I am very confused. Really? Moved to tears? Does Kara see the same guy that I see? The only thing that is moving me to tears is that roll of fat on the back of his head. Gross.

No comments: