Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Meet Georgia


It's been awhile.

My last blog entry was on Wednesday, June 2nd, the last day of school. So it's only fitting that I return to blogging today, Wednesday August 25th, the first day of school. In the past, I did a jig on the first day of school, but not this year. One, I was not ready to get back into a routine and two, I have been walking like Cro-Magnon man since Sunday when I pulled my back out, so the thought of doing a jig brings tears to my eyes.

How did I pull my back out, you ask? I'd like to tell you that I was trying out a new yoga position or lifting an exorbitant amount of weight over my head. But the truth is, I was lifting my puppy. My 12 pound puppy. Who, at the time, was chewing on electrical cords under my desk. I saved her life and in exchange lost the use of my spine. I'm really not that selfless; if I had to do it all again, I'd choose electric shock for Georgia and an intact back for me. (Note to crazy dog people: that was a joke.) (Kind of.)

So, yes, after about 3 years of my kids begging us for a dog, my husband and I caved. I was envisioning a small dog that didn't shed and didn't necessarily like people. We wound up with a yellow lab; a dog known for its excessive shedding, love of people and who will most likely tip the scales at 60 pounds when she is full grown. Not exactly the lap dog I had in mind.

For the most part, she's a good dog, but every once in awhile she gets all psycho and reminds me of that crazy pup in Marley and Me. She's lucky she's so cute, because I was not in the market for a new best friend, especially the four legged variety. I'm not saying that I don't like dogs, I'm just saying that nobody has ever confused me with Dr. Doolittle. But now that the kids are back at school, I'm all she's got. And somehow or another the two of us are going to have to learn to communicate.

This afternoon Georgia and I took a long walk to meet the school bus. She was ecstatic to see the kids, but then again Georgia would have been just as happy to see an ax murderer get off the bus. She doesn't play favorites, she loves everybody and everybody loves Georgia (or so Georgia thinks). My daughter was overwhelmed by all the homework she received on the first day of 8th grade. My son came home with a horrible migraine. Georgia, on the other hand, wouldn't know a bad day if it bit her in the face. Sure, she can be a pain in the neck (or the back, as the case may be), but she has already brought our family a lot of joy and something tells me...it will just keep getting better. I'll keep you posted.

Here's to a great school year!

No comments: