Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Finally...Hollywood

Look at me...I'm blogging. Who knew? 

Yep, it's official, American Idol is in Hollywood and I AM A BLOGGER! I'm not sure which is more exciting? The blog or Season 7? Probably the blog. 

Well, suffice it to say, it's taken me me a long time to get here. Seven seasons, in fact. There are a lot of blog templates out there for me to choose from - I just hope I made the right blog choice. Cause if there's one thing I've learned from all my years of watching Idol, it's that it's all about the song choice. Or in this case, the blog choice. And, yes, I'm fully prepared to make it my own...

And while I usually don't start giving my two cents until the judges do their magic and whittle away the crowd, I decided to start early so I could get a handle on this whole blog thing. 

So, yeah, Season 7. Time flies when you're having fun. Ryan Seacrest promised that there is more talent this season than ever before. In fact, if he said it once, he said it a hundred times. So, yes, it's got to be true. 

All that "talent" has my head spinning. I will say that the Aussie impressed me the most. I don't remember his name, so let's just call him the Hottie from Hottingham. He's got the look and the voice. Can't you hear Simon preaching, "this is a singing competition"? Yeah, well, I never quite buy that, my friend. Sure, you've got to be able to sing, but you've also got to have the look (read: Carrie Underwood). Because if you don't have the look, your teddy bear voice will get you no where (read: Ruben Studdard). But yes, Simon is right, you do need to be able to sing or it's all for naught (read: Taylor Hicks). 

Some other notables: that adorable 16 year old boy who appears to have the total package. And the dude who sang, "Stand By Me" in the beginning of Tuesday night's show. I anxiously await the new look that the stylists will create for the Irish lass who, in my humble opinion, is in desperate need of some grooming tips. And I don't think I've ever been so proud of Paula as I was tonight when she gave the pageant girl the axe. Good riddance, my dear. The rocker nurse? No, I am not all over her. She's a one trick pony. Sure, she will excel during Janice Joplin week, should the producers throw her that bone. But I shudder to think what she would do to a Barry Manilow song. And really, while it's not politically correct, I must say...two thumbs up for letting the single, black mother go. I really could not stomach another season of hearing about how she is doing this for her baby at home. Been there, done that. 

So, stay tuned. I have high hopes for this blog and for this season....

17 comments:

Idol Fan said...

Anybody know how this comment field works? Anybody? Buehler?

Idol Thoughts said...

You just follow the steps and the comment is posted! It's magic!

Anonymous said...

The Rocker Nurse must go!

the IC said...

You go, Laurie! Testify!

Anonymous said...

True that, Laurie, true that!! Can't wait for all the gems you will be unearthing for us and go Aussie/Atlanta guy!! Love the blog!

Richard Garrison said...

That 18 year-old kid with the blond hair thinks too highly of himself. He's the one that had the band get off the stage during Hollywood week, saying it took a "helluva lot of guts". Gimme a break. Something's wrong if you can't find a single decent song to play with a professional band and back-up singers. Simon was right, he is annoying.

Anonymous said...

What about the bible thumper?

Anonymous said...

Umm...rick? It's a TV show.

Anonymous said...

Love the name of blog!

Amanda said...

ok so this is hilarious! I can't wait to read more throughout the season!

Anonymous said...

We all know Aunt E is "Anonomous"

Anonymous said...

Where are all the dancing cats?

Anonymous said...

Bff Erin hates cats so those of you not familiar with our Blog Queen must know she is mocking me and is not a nice person.

BF Susie said...

Great blog Laurie. You know you are my favorite writer-friend. But wassup with your BFF being Erin? What about all your other BFFs???? I guess I'll have to be just BF (Bodily _______). Write on!!

Anonymous said...

Finally! Your Charlotte fans rejoice at the birth of your blog.

Anonymous said...

What's up with the blue tongues?

jeannas said...

Love your blog. Love your writing. Love your BFF and love you! So glad Idol is back and definately better than ever!